Here’s a summary of the new rules about leaving your apartment. These are valid from today – 23.3.2020. It’s not an Ausgangssperre (a lockdown) but it’s still serious and you should still make sure you follow the rules. It’s likely you’ll get stopped by the police at some point along your way. Don’t leave your apartment unless:
- you are on your way to or from work or volunteer work
- you are visiting a doctor or taking your pet to visit the vet
- you are shopping for things you need for everyday life (groceries, medication)
- you are visiting your children, your partner, the elderly or someone who is sick
- you are accompanying a minor or someone needing support
- you are accompanying someone who is dying or you are attending a funeral for someone in your close family
- you are getting fresh air or playing sport or doing fitness (no groups allowed unless you live with these people and can prove it)
- you are using public transport
- you have an appointment at a public office or courthouse
- you are practising your faith in a place of worship
- you are caring for an animal (e.g. taking your dog for a walk)
- you are gardening
In all of these cases, you must leave at least 1.5 metres distance, preferrably 2m, between you and any other people you pass or interact with.
We also have updates about government grants, state aid, state-funded loans and how to adjust to life in Germany during the COVID19 pandemic.
Stay safe and healthy.